Saturday, March 14, 2015
Chicken & Pistachio Wild Rice Pilaf
Truth be told, any rice or blend will suit this pilaf well. Just ensure to refer to the packet instructions and change up the liquid quantities and cooking times as necessary – if you use plain basmati rice this will be ready in 15 minutes with much less stock required, so put on your thinking cap, people.
What Will I Need?
350g chicken, chopped quite small
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp butter
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
50g pistachios, chopped
1 cup wild rice blend, rinsed
2 1/2 cups chicken stock (or less, depending on rice type used)
salt to taste
1. In a wide pot or pan, melt the butter with oil over a medium heat until frothing.
2. Add onion and garlic and cook around 5 minutes until onion is golden and translucent.
3. Add chicken and cook over a high heat until starting to colour, around 3-4 minutes.
4. Add cinnamon, cumin, and pistachios and stir though.
5. Add rice to the chicken, and stir through.
6. Add stock and bring to the boil over a high heat.
7. Pop on a lid, and reduce heat to low. Cook over low for 50-60 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed.
8. Serve hot garnished with pistachios