No Parmesan? Use Peccorino! No Peanuts? Use Pinenuts! Use your brains people (and a mortar and pestle, or food processor) and make pesto STAT!
I decided to toss my pesto through some fettuccine, but have also served this pesto with Italian antipasto when having guests over which sounds a wee bit pretentious, but deal with it.
What Will I Need?
1 bunch carrot tops, washed
3 cloves garlic
50g parmesan cheese
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp chopped unsalted peanuts
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp butter
1. Blitz the carrot tops, garlic, cheese, EVOO, peanuts, and sea salt in the bowl of a food processor until well combined.
2. Bring a large pot of well salted water to the boil.
3. Add pasta and cook according to packet instructions, minus one minute (cook until it still has a bite, prior to a-dente).
4. Once pasta has cooked, drain and set aside.
5. Whilst the pasta cooks: In a wide, shallow fry pan melt 1tbsp butter before adding the pesto over a high heat, and bring to a bubble. Reduce to a low heat.
6. Add pasta and stir through for one minute.
7. Divide between four dishes and serve.