Links



Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pan Fried Gnocchi with Chorizo, Tomato and Rocket

With a few hours to spare on my Birthday before a matinee performance of Billy Elliot in London, I decided to spoil myself for lunch, and after much searching along the cold, rainswept streets of Victoria, London, I found myself a gorgeously quaint fusion restaurant where I decided to spend my lunch.

The venue was brightly coloured offering a delightfully Mediterranean atmosphere, and offered Spanish, French and Italian fusion cuisine which I found… To be exorbitantly lacking. I waited 25 minutes between main and dessert, and they didn’t even offer me any sort of beverage!

Either way, I ordered a Duck Confit (which was under seasoned and over cooked) which came with a sautéed spinach, chorizo and fried potato side. This recipe is my re-interpretation of that side, overcooked duck free!

By the way, if you ever get the opportunity, Billy Elliot is a must see! I laughed, I cried, and I enjoyed thoroughly!



What Will I Need?
400g gnocchi
1 chorizo sausage, diced
150g cherry tomatoes, diced
100g fresh rocket (about 4 loosely packed cups)
1/2 tsp minced garlic
parmesan, to serve
olive oil


What Now?
1. In a large pot, bring generously salted water to the boil.

2. Add the gnocchi to the boiling water, and cook until it floats to the service – about 2-3 minutes. Strain and set to the side.

3. In a large fry pan cook the chorizo over a medium-high heat until starting to brown.

4. Add the tomato and rocket to the chorizo and remove from heat. Stir through until the rocket has wilted.

5. In a separate fry pan, heat oil over a high heat before adding the gnocchi a handful at a time, and cooking for 3-4 minutes until golden.

6. Transfer friend gnocchi to a bowl with absorbent paper, whilst frying remaining gnocchi.

7. Put chorizo mixture back on high heat and add fried gnocchi. Heat through for about a minute.

8. Divide between bowls and garnish with shaved parmesan before serving.