Links



Sunday, January 12, 2014

Chip Butty

Is this a cheat recipe as I haven’t cooked anything new this week due to illness?

Yes.

Is this really even a recipe at all?

Yes!

A Chip Butty is one of those things that everyone loves, even me, that strange person who doesn’t like potatoes in any way, shape or form (unless smothered in gravy). Everyone. Despite the fact it’s none too healthy and is quite a starch overload, it is still amazing to behold in all  it’s golden, carb-alicious glory.

They are the sandwich of my childhood, something I looked forward to every week for Sunday lunch. Looking back, it was also an incredibly cheap way to feed a family of five for lunch as in the 80s $2 would buy you a lot of fried potatoey goodness. .

As you can tell, I am pretty passionate about this simple sandwich and that’s why I am sharing with you my recipe to ensure your next Chip Butty is as nice as those I make myself.



What Will I Need?

2 slices of thick white bread – “toast” slices as opposed to “sandwich” slices.
Butter – not margarine, not “I can’t believe it’s not butter”, not spreadable butter, not unsalted butter.
Potato chips – salted and still hot.

What Now?

1.         Spread the butter generously on both sides of the bread.

2.         Create a layer of chips on one side of the bread.

3.         Add a few more chips to the layer, just because.

4.         Top the chip layer with the other slice of buttered bread and press down.

5.         Don’t cut it in half or even into quarters – eat it whole and enjoy every carbalicious bite.