Links



Sunday, June 23, 2013

Salted Caramel Shortbread

This is a recipe from my childhood but with a modern touch.

Growing up I would regularly request this slice for whatever occasion may be had, and have fond memories of standing on a chair, over the stove, helping stir the caramel for my mother, knowing that my hard work would be rewarded with a wooden spoon covered with caramel to be eating with joy whilst the rest of the caramel set on its shortbread base.

When I made this caramel slice, using a recipe given to me by my mother that was in turn given to her by her mother, I found the caramel unforgivingly sweet (something I adored as a child, mind you) so I decided to add some salt to cut through the sweetness and the results were amazing.



What Will I Need?

Shortbread Base
125g butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup plain flour

Salted Caramel
125g butter
½ cup caster sugar
395g tin sweetened condensed milk
3 tbsp golden syrup
¾ tsp coarse sea salt

Choc Topping
220g bottle Ice Magic chocolate topping


What Now?

1.         Preheat oven to 160C and grease and line an 18x28 baking tin with deep sides.

2.         In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, butter and flour using a wooden spoon until well combined and a dough is formed.

3.         Press the dough into the base of the prepared tin, and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.

4.         Next, combine the caramel ingredients into a heavy based saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, the butter has melted, and the ingredients are well combined.

5.         Increase to a medium heat until the caramel comes to a boil, then reduce to a medium-low heat and stir for 5-8 minutes or until the caramel is thick, and a deep golden brown.

6.         Pour the caramel over the cooled shortbread base and set aside to cool.

7.         Warm the Magic Topping in either hot water or the microwave (instructions on the back of the bottle). Once sufficiently runny, pour the entire bottle over the caramel layer of the slice.

8.         Refrigerate for at least two hours, or until the topping has set firmly.

9.         Slice into bite size pieces and enjoy!

.