It seems there are not too many fans of lemony sweets, yet this slice managed to convert a fair number of lemon nay-sayers!
Very simple to prepare, the only concern with this slice is that the lemon mixture is incredibly runny. This means your baking tray must have high side and you’ll need a steady hand when placing it into the oven so as to avoid spillages.
65g caster sugar
170g plain flour
1 tablespoon cornflour
150g unsalted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
40g plain flour
280g Caster Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 160C and grease and line an 18x28 baking tin with deep sides.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cornflour, butter and vanilla extract using a wooden spoon until well combined and a dough is formed.
3. Press the dough into the base of the prepared tin, and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.
4. Next, combine the eggs, lemon juice, vanilla, lemon rind, flour and sugar with an electric beater until the sugar has dissolved and all ingredients are well combined.
5. Pour the lemon mixture over the biscuit base and then bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch. Set aside to cool.
6. Sprinkle the slice with icing sugar before slicing and serving.