Although I say this soup serves four there is a fair amount of broth, so if you add a little more chicken and noodles you could easily stretch it out to feed 6 or 8 people. Additionally, this recipe requires two pots.
This is actually a soup I have wanted to make for a while but for some reason finding lemongrass in Brisbane, whether fresh or from a jar, is almost impossible unless you are lucky enough to live near an Asian grocery store.
What Will I Need?
400g Chicken breast, finely sliced
125g rice vermicelli noodles
1 stalk lemon grass
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp minced ginger
4 cups chicken stock
4 cups water
2 tsp kaffir lime leaves (from a jar)
2 cloves garlic
1 spring onion, cut into thirds
1. In a large pot, add the lemongrass, lime juice, soy sauce, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, garlic, spring onion, stock and water and then bring to a boil.
2. Reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, cover the rice noodles with boiling water and set aside for 2-3 minutes until cooked through. Strain and divide between four bowls.
4. Strain the soup through a sieve into the second pot. Add the sliced chicken and return to the boil.
5. Once boiling, remove from heat and divide amongst the four prepared bowls.
6. Serve with steamed veggies.