Links



Friday, September 7, 2012

Beef Madras



Curries are wonderful for using up less desirable cuts of meat, but I also love them for their sheer simplicity. I find most Indian curries can be made using pantry staples, and the longer they’re left bubbling away in the slow cooker the better developed the flavours and the more tender the meat.
   
When making this curry I always throw everything into the slow cooker, give it a quick stir, then let it do its thing – I don’t soften the onion, brown the meat, or even set a timer. Simply, I leave it alone as I go about my day, doing what needs to be done, fully confident that dinner will be ready for me when I am ready for it.

What Will I Need?

1kg beef, diced
400g can diced tomatoes
1 onion, sliced
400g tin chick peas OR 2 medium potatoes, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ginger, minced
2 tsp chilli, minced
2 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
5 black pepper corns
1 lemon, juiced
1 1/2 cups beef stock

What Now?

1.              Add all ingredients to your slow cooker and stir til mixed together.

2.              Set to low, cover with a lid and cook for at least 6 hours.

3.              Serve with naan and steamed white rice.