I am not fond of vanialla yoghurt by itself, so when i realised I had some in my fridge I decided to put it to use, rather than to waste, with whatever else I could find in my pantry and fridge.
A delightful pantry staple cake that will be sure to please your guests for morning tea.
400g can pie apricot
125 g butter, unsalted & softened
½ cup caster sugar
2 cups plain flour
200g vanilla yoghurt
4 tsp baking powder
¼ cup flaked almonds
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a loaf pan and line with baking paper.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together until smooth and creamy.
3. Add one egg to the mixture and beat well before adding the last egg and yoghurt.
4. Next, stir (don’t beat) through the flour and baking powderuntil thick and well combined.
5. Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan, carefully smoothing down.
6. Create a layer of apricots on top of the batter and press down gently.
7. Spoon the remaining batter over the apricots and sprinkle with almond flakes.
8. Spray your fingers with a small amount of oil and then pat and smooth down the down of the cake – the oil will prevent the batter sticking to your hands.
9. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until an inserted skewers comes out clean.
10. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan before lifting out onto a rack to cool completely.