It is a very sweet cake due to the syrup, however, you don’t have to add the syrup if you’re not a fan of saccharine sweetness – the cake is delightful and delicious enough to stand on its own.
What Will I Need?
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1 ¼ cup almond meal
1 ½ tsp baking powder
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 lemons, rind & juice
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 lemon, juiced
1. Preheat oven to 180C and grease and line a 20cm round cake pan.
2. Combine flour, almond meal, sugar, eggs, oil, all lemon rind and juice of one and stir until well until combined.
3. Pour mixture into the prepared pan, and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
5. As the cake begins to cool, combine the sugar and the juice of one lemon in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved before increasing to a medium heat and boiling for 1-2 minutes.
6. Transfer the cake to a serving plate, and using a skewer pierce the top of the cake in several places.
7. Gently drizzle all the syrup over the cake and allow it to be absorbed.
8. You can serve this either warm or cooled completely.