You would be hard pressed to find any person who was not a fan of pizza, and I think most people (children especially) love the opportunity to make pizza at home. Homemade pizza is always full of much more flavour and love than anything home delivered and can be considered healthier too as you get to control the amount of oil, cheese and other fatty ingredients. This pizza sauce should get you on your way to help make you homemade pizza’s as scrumptious as possible!
If you look at the photo, this is a 750ml Jar and it was 4/5 full of sauce, however we had pizzas before I remembered to take a photo!
When this sauce is bubbling away on the stove there will be a lot of splashing, hence why we simmer it with the lid on the saucepan.
Finally, when blitzing anything hot never fill the food processor or blender more than half way and always leave a vent so that steam can escape. Cover with a tea towel, and always proceed with caution.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 onion, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
6 anchovy fillets, finely diced
400g diced tomatoes, tinned
1/2 cup tomato paste
50g parmesan, grated
1 tsp basil, dried
1 tsp thyme, dried
1 tsp oregano, dried
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the butter and oil until the butter is melted before adding the onion, garlic and anchovies and cooking for 5 minutes until the onion is soft.
2. Stir through the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, parmesan cheese and herbs and then simmer for 5 minutes, or until the parmesan has melted.
3. Next, transfer to a blender and allow cooling for a minute before blitzing for 30 seconds or until smooth and creamy. Return to the saucepan.
4. Bring to the boil, and once boiling, pop on a lid and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for ten minutes so that the sauce can thicken.
6. Spread generously onto a pizza base and then top with your favourite ingredients, or store in an airtight jar and refrigerate.