A super simple way to bring something a little different to your next roast, don’t be scared by the list of spices necessary, they all contribute to a wonderful smoky flavour and easily available from most supermarkets, if not your own pantry!
Also don’t worry about the chicken coming out of the oven looking a little dark – this is only the marinade that has browned and perhaps burnt, but that all adds to the smokiness of the chicken itself!
1.2 kg chicken
½ cup Greek yoghurt
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp chilli mince
1 tbsp ginger minced
1 tbsp tomato paste
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ lemon, juiced
½ cup yoghurt
½ tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp fennel
1. Thoroughly rinse the chicken and then pat dry with some paper towel.
2. Squeeze the juice from the lemon into a mixing bowl, and put the remaining rind inside the cavity of the chicken.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, but not the chicken obviously, to the bowl and mix well until combined.
4. Pop the chicken into a large marinade bag and then pour the marinade into the bag, working it around the chicken until it is completely coated in the mixture. Set aside for an hour so the chicken can absorb the flavours.
5. Preheat your oven to 200C and lightly grease a roasting dish – this will make it easier to clean later.
6. Place the chicken on top of a wire rack suited to your roasting dish, and then place in the hot oven for 1 hour 20 minutes.
7. For the yoghurt: Add the ingredients to a small mixing bowl and mix well.
8. Once the timer on the chicken is up, pierce the area where the leg joins the main body with a skewer – if the juices run clear the chicken is ready and can be removed from the oven.
9. After allowing the chicken to rest for ten minutes, serve with a generous helping of the spiced yoghurt.