No party is complete without Sausage Rolls, so when my Sister-In-Law asked me to help cook for her Husband’s birthday, we both knew that Sausage Rolls were a must have!
This is a very simple recipe, but sausage rolls are something that can be experimented with easily. Add tomato sauce, or paste. Add tobacco or chilli sauce. You could even add bacon and cheese or any other concoction you can think of to make these truly your own.
We made three-times the batch than what is listed below, but they disappeared quickly none the less.
What Will I Need?
500g Sausage Mince
3 slices White Bread, no crusts
2 tbsp boiling water
1 Brown Onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp Mixed Herbs
4 slices Puff Pastry (may be more, maybe be less depending how fat you make these!)
1. Preheat oven to 200C and coat an oven tray with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, place the white bread and the boiling water and mash together.
3. Next, add the mince, onion, 1 egg and herbs and mix together well. Once everything is nice and mushy, set this aside and wash your hands to remove the goo!
4. Select a piece of puff pastry and cut in half lengthways.
5. Spoon some mince onto each half of the pastry, making a sausage shape down the middle.
6. Roll the pastry up and over the filling, ensuring each side overlaps to keep the filling completely enclosed.
7. Using a sharp, oiled knife, cut the sausage rolls into the desired lengths (normally about 4 cm long) and then place seam side down on the prepared tray.
8. Using the second egg – whisk it briefly in a small bowl, and then brush the whisked egg over the sausage rolls.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Serve with tomato sauce and enjoy your party!