Links



Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sweet & Sour Beef Noodle Salad


Today has been one of those days that have left me completely and utterly exhausted.

Not, as one might assume, because I have been completely busy and hectic to the point of exhaustion, but because my day was so completely slow and monotonous my mind was frantic to find things to do, leaving my completely drained by the end of the day!

By the time I finally got home and it came to making dinner, I refused to allow myself to cook something boring, and so decided that a sweet and sour beef noodle salad would be far more entertaining and interesting than my day had been.

The irony of my day however, is the fact that although I because frustrated with my day due to boredom, once I got home and cooked dinner, having nothing to do was my idea of nirvana and I could not wait to relax and think about nothing at all, and to be, quite frankly, bored!

So, I am now relaxing on my lounge, the television on in the background as I sip a cup of hot tea, finishing my entry, and looking forward to having nothing to do for the rest of the evening.

What Will I Need?

500g Beef, thinly sliced
1 tbs Fish Sauce
1 1/2 tbs Sugar
1/2 tbs Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp Ginger, minced
1/2 tsp Chilli, minced
1 tbs Rice Wine Vinegar
1 tbs Lime Juice
1 tbs Lemon Juice
200g Rice Noodles, ready to serve
150g Brocolli, cut into florets
1 Carrot, thinly sliced diagonally,
150g Bok Choi, sliced diagonally
2 Spring Onions, sliced
1/3 cup Cashews, chopped roughly
1/3 cup Coriander, chopped roughly

What Now?

1.             Let’s start by brining a large saucepan of water to boil.

2.             At the same time, heat a small amount of oil (about 1 tbs) in your wok.

3.             Whilst the oil and water heat up, combine the Juices, Sauces and Spices in a bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves – this is your dressing.

4.             Now that your water is boiling, pop your veggies (excluding spring onion) into the boiling water – allow to boil for 2-3 minutes or until carrot is tender and the broccoli has turned a vivid green.

5.             As the vegetables are boiling, stir fry your beef, cashews and spring onions over a high heat with half of the dressing until cooked, this should take about two minutes – turn the temperature to low.

6.             Drain your vegetables, and set aside for just a moment.

7.             Add your noodles to the beef and stir through, before now adding the vegetables and coriander.

8.             Mix everything through until the noodles are heated, before decanting into serving bowls.

9.             Garnish with some additional coriander and serve warm.