Links



Monday, October 17, 2011

Not-So-Piri Piri Chicken


I am a huge fan of spicy foods, and if you are a regular reader of this blog I am sure you’ve come to realise this is hardly a secret. I will add chilli to just about everything and consider and so find it essential to always have jars upon jars  of minced chilli biding their time in my fridge waiting for their chance to spice up my life.

The other day I watched an episode of Jamie Oliver’s 30 Minute Meals and decided that his Piri Piri chicken was an absolute must for our meal the following night and so early that afternoon I set about creating the Piri Piri sauce to use as a marinade.

However, I accidently bought Parsley instead of Basil… And We have no Worchester sauce… And I bought the wrong type of chillies… However, I decided to drive full steam ahead with my marinade and so threw everything in the food-processor none the less with fingers crossed and hopes held high.

I had a small taste… And added some other spices… I had another taste… I added more spices.

The end result were chicken tenderloins that weren’t incredibly spicy but very flavoursome none the less, so much so that I had to share my deviation of the original recipe, now known as my Not-So-Peri Peri Chicken.

What Will I Need?

500g Chicken Tenderloins
1 small Onion, chopped into quarters
3 Garlic Cloves
2 tbs Lemon Juice
1 tbs Lime Juice
2 tbs White Wine
½ tbs ginger, minced
1 tbs Tomato Paste
2 large chillies (My supermarket didn’t list what type of chilli they were, just “Red chilli”. Either way they were about 2-3inches long)
1 cup Continental Parsley

What Now?

1.             In a food processor, blitz all ingredients (but not the chicken!) for about 30 seconds, or until all ingredients are thoroughly obliterated into a wonderfully speckled liquidy paste  – add a small amount of water if necessary so that the mixture is not too dense.

2.             In a marinading bowl, or a large plastic bag, combine chicken and marinade and mix, or shake, until the chicken is thoroughly coateded.

3.             Pop the marinading chicken into the fridge for at least an hour.

4.             Once the chicken is full of flavour, or at least when you assume it to be so, heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan (or alternatively use a grill) and cook the tenderloins on each side for about 5 minutes, or until cooked through.

5.             Serve with, well, whatever you feel like really!