Links



Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mint Sauce


I am pretty good at making decisions and working under pressure. No matter how difficult or extreme the situation, I can think and action a successful plan quickly in order to save time and stress all around.

This ability to make quick decisions isn’t only useful when in stressful situations though as it helps me when buying shoes, or decide what to cook each night when the pantry is virtually bare. It is an attribute I have held my entire life, and it has gotten me out of many a tricky situation from broken down cars, to buying more shoes than I actually need (but I want them so much!) and cooking up a spur-of-the-moment feast for guests.

Despite this, I must admit, when I was growing up there was one decision that would rear its ugly head more often than not then had me biting my nails and exuding anxiety to the point I would almost, but not quite, lose my appetite.

But what kind of question, choice or decision could cause such issues? Such apprehension?

Would you like Gravy, or Mint Sauce?

You see, my mother would regularly make a Sunday Lamb Roast, as well as the traditional, home made gravy, we all adored (it was beyond delicious). Upon setting the table though, she’d also include Mint Sauce – another garnish we adored and would clamour to apply to our still steaming lamb.

However, mother had a rule – One or the Other!!

As you can see, a very difficult decision to a young child, and even now as an adult, were I made to choose, I am sure I would have just as much trouble as I did when I was a child!

Luckily for me, I now cook the roasts for my family, and as such can have as many sauces as I like!

What Will I Need?

3/4 cup fine chopped Fresh Mint (3/4 cup once chopped, that is)
3 tsp Caster Sugar
1/4 cup Boiling Water
1/2 cup White Wine Vinegar

What Now?

1.             Place your mint in a serving bowl or sauce jug.

2.             Add sugar to your boiling water and stir until dissolved. Pour this mixture over the mint leaves.

3.             Mix in the white wine vinegar, and stir.

4.             Allow to sit for about 15 minutes for the flavours to develop.

5.             Now, this sauce is quite chunky so you may also need a spoon to help you serve it, but serve with your Roast Lamb and enjoy!