Links



Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Basic Pilaf

The other night I had some Not-So-Piri Piri Chicken marinading, awaiting to be cooked, when I was trying to decide what to cook as its accompaniment. After much deliberation I decided on making some Mexican Rice and so promptly retrieved all the ingredients from their varying hidey-holes around my kitchen and set about chopping and slicing and dicing.

Somewhere along the lines though, my Mexican Rice turned into a spicy, rich Pilaf… It may have been when I decided not to add corn and beans t the rice, or perhaps when I decided to add coriander and cumin as opposed to paprika, and then cook it all in stock. Either way, we ended up with a meal that was very much Not-So-Planned, with some quite unusual flavour combinations!

This is listed as a Vegetarian dish, although Chicken Stock is used. However, I used stock cubes, which are vegan, so I apologise if this causes offence.

What Will I Need?

1 cup Basmati Rice
1.5 cup Chicken Stock
1 onion, finely diced
½ red capsicum, finely diced,
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbs oil

What Now?

1.             Over a low to medium heat, heat oil, onion, garlic and capsicum together in a 3L capacity saucepan.

2.             Once the onion, garlic and capsicum are soft and fragrant add the spices and give it all a quick stir before then adding the rice and stirring until the rice is covered in the spices and mixed into the onions and capsicum.

3.             Now we add the chicken stock and raise the heat and allow the rice to come to the boil.

4.             When the rice comes to a boil, turn the heat to the lowest temperature, pop a lid onto the saucepan and let it all simmer away for about 15 minutes.

5.             You will know your pilaf is cooked when the rice has absorbed all the stock and has formed a level layer, pockmarked with steam holes.

6.             Serve in your favourite, most colourful bowls and enjoy!