I haven’t had ribs in an awfully long time, and so was absolutely delighted to cook these for friends, especially because they filled the fridge with a wonderful aroma as they sat marinading overnight carefully seducing us and building our appetites until we were able to dig both teeth and fingers into them, carefree and covered in the sweet, syrupy spicey sauce!
1kg Pork Ribs
1/3 cup Honey
2/3 cup Tomato Sauce
1 tbs Chilli (minced, from a jar)
1 tbs Ginger (minced from a jar)
2 tbs Lemon Juice (about half a lemon)
2 cloves Garlic, minced
Pinch of salt
1. In a bowl large enough o fit your ribs, mix the honey, tomato sauce, chilli, ginger, lemon juice and garlic until well combined. Season with a pinch of salt or to your taste.
2. Please your ribs into the bowl and ensure each rack is covered completely in the marinade, before covering in some cling film and popping into the fridge for 12 hours.
3. After about 6 hours (or a good nights sleep!) turn the ribs in their bowl to ensure each side will be fully flavoured with the thick, sticky marinade.
4. Once the ribs have been marinading for about 12 hours, preheat an oven to 200oC, and place the ribs on a rack in a foil lined tray – this will ensure no sticky marinade is burnt onto your tray!
5. Once the oven is hot enough, in the ribs go to cook for 45 minutes. The marinade will go deep auburn colour to almost black, but that’s to be expected.
6. Serve with some potato wedges and corn on the cob and make sure to have some paper towels handy to wipe those sticky fingers and sweet chilli smiles!