Links



Thursday, September 15, 2011

Beef Goulash

In my opinion, food is ultimately about family and bringing people together. It’s about sitting around the table with your family as you discuss your day and your interests, and the enjoyment of the meal.

As such, it is only right that a mother passes her most prized recipes down to her daughter, so that the food she used to bring her family together can now to made by her daughter for the same purpose, continuing the essence of family, and I guess creating a tradition unique to each and every family around the world.

This recipe was passed to me from my mother not too long ago, as I sat on the floor of her lounge room with recipe books lay strewn around me as I gleefully paged through each book, each older than myself. As I read through recipes, my mother stood in the kitchen, cooking up a feast for her children, and her children’s children, chatting to me about her favourite recipes and which I should make an effort to take note of.

This Goulash is one of those recipes, so I hope you enjoy it and it becomes a part of your family, as it is a part of mine.
What Will I Need?
500g beef, diced
1tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
3 tbs paprika
1 x 400g tin whole tomato
1 potato, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 cups beef stock
1 tbs flour

What now?

1.       Heat olive oil in a large pot over a medium-low heat, and then cook the onion and garlic for about five minutes until soft and golden. Add the paprika, and mix through.

2.       Add the beef,tomatoes, carrot, potatoes, stock, and flour and stir through until well combined. 

3.       Bring to a boil over a high heat. Once boiling, pop on the lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for one hour. 

4.       Serve hot with crusty white bread.