There’s a certain aisle at the supermarket that I am ensure everyone enjoys and even looks forward to walking down! All the pasta sauces, curry pastes, stir fry sauces are in this aisle, and glowing a magical red and gold, reminiscent of lazy Sunday afternoons, is the Mexican section.
So many types of tortilla! So many types of Salsa! And just as many simmer sauces are available for sale, but in all honestly, why buy a bottle of simmer sauce when you can make your own using ingredients you already have in your pantry?
This is my very simple Chicken Burrito recipe to save you having another jar of simmer sauce filling up space in your pantry when it’s really just not necessary!
500g Chicken, cut into strips
400g can Red Kidney Beans, drained
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp lime juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbs tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp paprika
1. The sauce itself is quite simple, and doesn’t require any chopping or cutting, just pop all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz!
2. In a fry pan heat about a tablespoon of oil and cook your chicken over a medium high heat until golden brown.
3. Take the pan off the heat and then stir through the sauce: there should be enough residual heat to warm the sauce through thoroughly.
4. Now, this part hardly needs explaining: Add your chicken to a warm tortilla and then top with salsa, cheese, sour cream, tomato, lettuce.
5. Fold up your tortilla and enjoy the whole messy experience that is a burrito!