It’s winter here in Australia and although that doesn’t bring to mind blustery winds and inches of snow or frost it can still get quite chilly. After a week of stalking through the concrete jungles on the way to and from work each day, warmth, comfort, and kicking your heels off is at the forefront of the mind, and nothing says warmth or comfort more so than soup.
Soup is one of those fantastic meals that bring warmth to the soul on those cold wintery days. It’s up there along with stews and casseroles that are just so sumptuous and sensually comforting without being extravagant or complicated they can’t be denied. They’re simple and simply delicious.
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped
150g bacon bits
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbs mild paprika
1 medium potato, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 parnsip, chopped
2 bay leaves
4 cups beef stock
1. After heating the olive oil in a large saucepan, add onion and garlic and stir until translucent over a low heat.
2. Once the onion and garlic have been prepared, let’s add the bacon and stir for a few minutes until it has darkened and become slightly crispy.
3. To the bacon and onion let’s add the paprika and stir until the bacon and onion has been coated by the spice, before then adding all the chopped vegetables and again stir until everything is well combined.
4. Now that all our vegetable and the bacon have been mixed up, add all the stock and the bay leaf and then bring to the boil, before lowering the heat once again and maintaining a simmer for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
5. Your soup is now ready to serve and will be perfect with some crusty bread with butter, or maybe even dumplings!