Risotto is one of those dishes that everyone thinks is much harder than it actually is! Though of course, we don’t all have the time to stand around stirring the dish whilst the Arborio rice slowly absorbs all the liquid stock we gradually stir in.
That’s why this oven-baked risotto is such a wonderful idea. It creates the same soft, luscious, flavoursome rice but with little to no effort!
This makes enough for four very large servings.
50g unsalted butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 chicken breast fillets, cut into 1-2cm cubes
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup grated parmesan
100g Cherry tomatoes, cut in half.
1. Firstly we need to preheat the oven to 170oC and place a 5L capacity, oven proof casserole dish inside in order to heat up.
2. Next, in a large saucepan we need to melt the butter over low heat before adding the onion and garlic and cooking until transparent.
3. Add the diced chicken to the saucepan and now bring the temperature up to medium and stir the chicken for 2-3 minutes or until white on each side.
4. After the chicken has started to colour, add the Arborio rice and stir for one minute or until all the rice is glossy.
5. Now that the rice is glossy and mixed in with the chicken and the onion, we add the stock and wine and then bring it all to the boil.
6. Once everything is boiling, take the casserole dish from the oven and then pour the chicken and rice combination into the casserole dish before placing it back into the oven.
7. After transferring the chicken and the rice into the casserole dish, turn off your stove top, and then add the cherry tomatoes to the still warm saucepan and stir until the tomatoes are warmed through and coated in any excess liquids from the chicken rice mixture. Set these aside.
8. Back to the risotto: Cook the casserole dish for 15 minutes before taking out of the oven and stirring once or twice to ensure everything is thoroughly mixed. Replace back into the oven for 15 minutes.
9. Take the casserole dish from the oven and check to make sure all the liquids have been absorbed by the rice – if not replace back into oven for an additional five minutes.
10. Add parmesan, basil and tomatoes to the risotto and stir through thoroughly.
11. Serve and garnish with additional parmesan or basil!