Growing up, I was the queen of spicy food in the kitchen and no one else was allowed to make any Mexican or Cajun dishes as they were solely my domain. This was one of my favourite recipes to cook as it fed the whole family and they all thoroughly enjoyed it, and now that I’ve moved on my Partner has found a love for this Cajun Chicken aswell!
What Will I Need?
1 tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 brown onion, diced
500g chicken (thigh or breast)
1 tbs paprika
2 tsps chilli paste
1 tsp cumin
½ cup uncooked long grain rice
2 cups chicken stock
1 green capsicum, diced
300g can red kidney beans, drained
130g can corn kernels
Fresh parsley, to garnish
1. First thing we need to do is preheat our ovens to 180oC and ensure that the oven shelves are at the right height.
2. Next we need to heat the olive oil in a fry pan and sauté the garlic and onion, until the onion is transparent.
3. Now, add the chicken and cook until brown on all sides before adding paprika, chilli and cumin and stirring through.
4. Transfer the chicken and onion to an 8-cup capacity casserole dish, and then add the rice and stock.
5. After making sure the chicken, rice and stock are combined, place the lid on the casserole dish and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
6. Once your 30 minutes are up remove the casserole dish from the oven, and add the capsicum, kidney beans and corn, and stir through.
7. Place back into the oven for an additional 15 minutes or until rice is thoroughly cooked.
8. Once cooked, garnish with coarsely chopped parsley and serve!